Friday, November 9, 2012

Nuetropenia

Jon was admitted to the hospital last night with a moderate fever (101) and a white count of .8. He will remain in the hospital until his white count reaches 4. (This morning it was 1.5.) Certain "strong" chemotherapy drugs dramatically lower the number of white blood cells in the body. Running a fever when your white counts are low is a common side effect of chemo (nuetropenia). However, there is always a risk of infection when there is a fever; and given Jon's body has no defense against infection, he has to be careful. We walk a fine line with this blog...we want to give details for our friends and family yet also protect a few "dignities". Chemo is so "messy" that it is often hard to navigate this line. Given I am the hands giving voice to Jon's recovery, I am careful to be honoring to his privacy. He is having a hard time with a number of side effects; and the cocktail of meds has its own bed. All that said, he is hopeful that the gluteal tumor is palpably smaller. After one more round of chemo, a CT or MRI will be used to determine if/how the mass has decreased.

12 comments:

  1. Prayers that his fever will go down and his white count will go up! Chemo is a very bumpy, twisty road with more potholes than smooth patches; may the Spirit be with you all as you make this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so so many prayers. I'm so sorry for each and every side effect and all the pain but hope and pray that mass is being beaten back. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah Lynn, stay strong! We so appreciate hearing updates about Jon. Just reading your words - no matter what they are - carries us all on the journey with you. Your entire family remains in our heats and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We hold you in the Light of our Spirits Jon and Sarah, and Josi and Caleb.

    Like so much illness, it's like riding a roller-coaster in the dark. You know there will be ups and downs, and just when you think you have the pattern figured out, it switches you onto a different ride.

    Just hang in there with the unnerving side-effects... the unexpected nadir... the unpleasant surprises yet to come... time will deliver some good things too. Our hopes are added to yours in awaiting the tests to come.

    With Love from the McLaughlins

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dep,
    I claim this prayer for you:

    May the Father of Life pour out His grace on you;
    may you feel His hand in everything you do
    and be strengthened by the things He brings you through:
    this is my prayer for you.

    -Nate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dep you can beat anything. My thoughts and prayers are constantly with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon,
    God created you for such a day as this. He has a perfect purpose He has destined you for. Trust Him that He will walk with you every step of the way. We are all praying for your physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual strength. Rest in the love of your many friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of all of you over here in Brooklyn, NY and sending strength and love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thy name is my healing, O my God, and remembrance of Thee is my remedy. Nearness to Thee is my hope, and love for Thee is my companion. Thy mercy to me is my healing and my succor in both this world and the world to come.

    I said this prayer over and over through the dark days of my bone marrow transplant. You, Jon, and your family are in my heart and prayers. I am living proof that survival is possible.

    ReplyDelete